History Of The House
When visiting the Cerney House Gardens please do visit our exhibition above the Cafe with in the Gardens. Displaying photographs of details of Cerney House and Gardens looking back to 1660.
Cerney House was built in approximately 1660 by the Rich family; and occupied continuously until 1772. The house was originally built on three stories but was later substantially altered, possibly by James Burton, and remodelled in the Georgian manner in 1780. This is believed to be the consequence of a fire, however there is little record to substantiate this. The next owner, a Thomas Tynedale of Stroud, who is believed to have financed the remodelling, did not occupy the residence but let it to a Mr Price who married the daughter of the then Lord Strathmore.
It then passed into the hands of the Croome family in 1810 and remained with them until 1930. Inside the Ladies Chapel of North Cerney Church there are a number of memorials to members of the family, as this was the then private chapel for the owners of Cerney House. The house was altered many times from in the 18th and 19th centuries, with a service wing added and a conservatory. It served as a hospital in the war, under the ownership of the De La Haye family, who moved to the top floor of the house in order to provide space. The financier Kenneth de Courcy occupied it, until it was sold for £25,000, in 1963. He once remarked that the house "bustled with politicians and foreign royalty".